Wednesday, December 7, 2022

I'M BACK!!!

I’ve awakened from a long slumber, and miraculously I made a documentary during that time.

    First things first, this is Clara. For eagle eyed readers, you may remember her from this blog post. We decided to work together for this documentary, which was honestly about time we finally worked together. I’ve never properly worked with her in the past, but I’ve been taking TV Production classes with her for years nowand quite frankly I wanted to see how it’d go.

An experimental short that
attempted to show what a
dream felt like
    On our first day we threw around some ideas, and eventually became fixated on a topic related to photography. Our first few ideas ranged from exploring different forms of photography to the process of developing 35mm film after physically capturing a moment. After a quick with our teacher though, she hit us with the “I think you can do better.” She did give us a bouncing off point when she mentioned that the capturing a moment part could be cool. By this point, it was the end of class and we split off to think on our own and then regroup. Luckily for us I took a nap after school and a possible structure somehow formed and I was able to write it down when I woke up before I forgot. When I told Clara she confirmed to me that it wasn’t just crazy nonsense and good, so we based our structure off a dream (Un Chien Andalou has NOTHING on this Doc)

    We were going to make a documentary about the power of “captured moments” and its influence on authenticity. We’d focus on photographers and their beliefs with staging and documentary photography. Then switching to their beliefs on social media and its influence on authenticity. Our main goal was to determine what really makes a photo or post authentic and whether or not it really matters.

    Not long after we elaborated further on topics, wrote questions, made plans to check out equipment from BECON-TV, made a film schedule, and found possible interviewees (including 2 photographers and a successful social media influencer for a separate perspective). Throughout most of the pre-planning process we’d talked with peers and an alumni about our topic and possible methods to go about practically filming the documentary. Generally speaking we were basically ready to go with everything, and we we’re very excited to begin!!!!!!!!

    The hurricane had forced Clara and I to change just about everything with our schedule. We couldn’t pick up equipment since BECON-TV, a BCPS office, was closed, so all things filming were delayed. Even if we did have equipment, we were planning to film the photographers taking photos during events for b-roll, but those events ended up being postponed. We were left punching the air, but after calming down again we got back to work to make a new schedule.

    The next we had made plans to pick up equipment, film the 3 interviews, and shoot b-roll. At times it did feel very back-to-back, but we were on schedule and we were liking what we filmed. Also during that week I won a National Emmy, so that also helped with giving me an extra boost of excitement for the documentary. Anyways by the end of the week, all we had to do was edit.
Very Cool Thing


No comments:

Post a Comment

It's been a while...

Hey yall! so I'm alive still and I'm gonna be blogging again in small doses, so I figured I'd start fresh. Here's the link t...