Saturday, February 18, 2023

The Priceless Bob Barker

So in my ideas for this story, the main character would be a consistent viewer of some kind of show. By focusing on one show, I believe I'd be able to develop the constant presence in the character's life. I feel it'd also prevent repetitiveness in the story, if I had to introduce a new show or piece of media several times throughout the film. That's also the same reason I decided to go with TV shows as opposed to movies, so that I can keep the media consumed simple and have an excuse for multiple viewings from the main character. For the I wanted the show to be some kind of overstimulating show that would imply the main character's obsession with the show, so I thought about Talk Shows and Game Shows.  

I mentioned these ideas to my instructor, and she recommended I watch some early reruns of the Price is Right not only to get a feel for an engaging show, but also to reference the host, Bob Barker. She described him as a very energic and confident personality, that had a bit of creepiness. 


Within the first few minutes of the first episode I watched, I was surprised to hear one of the contestants says, "Bob, everybody always kisses you, but I want to give you a big hug for a change." Almost instantly I got a sense that Barker was an icon of the time and favored by many. His confident yet humble attitude also evoked an appealing attitude; he knew he didn't have to prove that he was the biggest man in the room. His formal attire, the kind inflection he spoke with, and body language all contributed to this likeable personality.

Now in the film the main character would essentially be mimicking the personality of the TV Personality, so modeling a character with similar confident and likeable attributes would definitely be appealing to someone with none of that. While I'm still on the fence about whether the host would be for a Game Show or Talk Show, I do know how I want to present this character and their personality.

Some other episodes of The Price is Right I watched include the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5o48YOPVHM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5L_mqwpZUc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bswz5spVO-8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DypqO9TO97U

(this last one is just a clip I find cool)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SEL27xiJGQ

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's been a while...

Hey yall! so I'm alive still and I'm gonna be blogging again in small doses, so I figured I'd start fresh. Here's the link t...