Thursday, February 24, 2022

How People Use Mixed Media

 

    In the past I've dabbled with mixed media, but only to an extent. My most recent project that included mixed media was for a music video I made back in October with two other students Isabella Chiappini and Luis Rodriguez. For the video we incorporated only a few bit of animation that we planned in advance. 

Sketch book page of what we wanted to include in the final music video


    Working on the While We're Young Music Video really opened my eyes to the more formalistic approach to telling stories. For this project I want to do more than just adding a few emoticons and expression symbols every now and again. I want to expand and improve my skills in this area of filmmaking by experimenting and having more thought behind certain decisions. And as a way to broaden my view of mixed media, I've done a bit of research on a few films that incorporate different mediums into their stories. I just want to see how others have approached this art form.



    This film from Sean Wang, follows adults as they reminisce back to the eighth grade and the time  since then. Visually the film is like a white board, with text, images, videos and drawings coming and going through out. Wang's inclusion of these mediums invites the viewer look back with Wang and his old school mates.




    Rebooted is a sweet piece from Michael Shanks about older technology fading away in the modern age. The story follow a stop-motion skeleton as they face being replaced by newer technology and traditions. The film blends both stop-motion and live action almost seamlessly as way to literally show how lively tradition methods could be, compared to things like CGI.


Lawrence Becker Stop Motion + Mixed Media Animation Compilation (2015-2017)

    Lawrence Becker is an online creator who most known for his stop-motion animations, but he has a bit more up his sleeve. As long as he's had an online presence he's been blending mediums in order to make things that look unique and tell stories that can't be told solely through live action. His use of different art styles and collage also makes for a visual interesting final piece.

    
    






No comments:

Post a Comment

It's been a while...

Hey yall! so I'm alive still and I'm gonna be blogging again in small doses, so I figured I'd start fresh. Here's the link t...