Sunday, February 27, 2022

Storyboarding Session #1

    So today I started storyboarding. My goal was to visualize the first chunk of the opening. This portion sets up certain portions of the story to come. The first shot of the tapping pen and the dots left from it show the stalled output from the animator. The initial second and third shot would cut to show some of the sketches the animator has around their desk, along with some focus drawings. I soon decided cutting from the high angle first shot to another high angle in the second shot could be a bit confusing, so I decided to insert a shot between the two. The new second shot is another angle with the tapping pen, but the focus is on a blank document on a laptop. 
    Follow this we'd cut to an over-the-shoulder of the animator, but unlike the usual over-the-shoulder from behind, this shot would position the camera in front of the actor to face the back calendar on the wall behind them. Has X's every day up until the circle. This also is the first of a short sequence that draws focus to the circled date. Understanding that today is the deadline and that the animator hasn't made any progress adds a level of tension. We then finally cut to a close of the the animator's tired eyes. During this time the pen tapping would stop. Cutting to a medium from the front, we reach the end of the first chunk. 


    While the next chunk doesn't require much thinking about different shots, since I plan to stay with this angle, it will introduce the animated aspects of the opening. I have begun with some brief character designs and sketches that could be includes in this portion of the opening. I may also replace one of the focus drawing in the 4th shot with a page with a sketched out character, so I can have that drawing be the first to "come alive" and eventually change into other ideas that animator has. Some of these could also be included in the fully digital portion in the 3rd chunk during some of the credits.


    For now I'm going to take a break to think about possible characters or art techniques that can be used for this 2nd chunk of the opening.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's been a while...

Hey yall! so I'm alive still and I'm gonna be blogging again in small doses, so I figured I'd start fresh. Here's the link t...