Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Skipping Ahead

    To start on the 2nd chunk I've been sketching out art styles and character designs that could be involved in the animator's brainstorming process.  While working on this I came to the idea that some of these sketches both good and bad could be included in the main opening credit sequence towards the end of the opening. With this I took a break from working on the story board to think about how I could make the credit sequence. This portion has fully digital space that would include credits, names, and sketches to make the frame more interesting. Movies like Spider-Man: No Way Home and Mitchells vs The Machines both incorporate animation and mix media in their credit sequences to include all kinds of references and details. Doing this would creative a much more lively atmosphere and emphasis a tone for the rest of the film. Another fun aspect about these credit sequences like I said before is that I can include little Easter eggs or elements that foreshadow the story that is soon to come.


    At the moment, I'm planning on making most of the animations with Blender Grease Pencil. While Blender is more known for its 3D animation, it is still possible to make 2D animations in the program. Something I want to avoid with this sequence is making it feel flat. For all the different colors and designs I can include, the final product can still feel simple. To avoid this I am planning on incorporating textures and grain so the frame feels tangible. I have a bit of experience with texturing objects, but I want to do more than just add an overlay effect.

    Recently I've been watching Ben Marriott on YouTube; he's a motion graphics designer who makes tutorials for Adobe After Effects. He's made many videos about creating more engaging looks for animations and video. By following some of these videos, can not only make the animation textured, but also made the text of the credits fit with the look of everything else.

These are some of the video/elements I will watch and would like to incorporate in the final opening:

Gritty Texturing

Half Tone Print Effect

5 Creative Uses of Noise

Textured Animated Posters 


    So far I've talked about what I can do in post to make the credits look nice, but I haven't really touched on the credit sequence itself. There are currently 2 ideas that are contenders. The first would go one credit at a time, while wipes of sketches or characters would be used to transition into different backgrounds. Think of how in the intro sequence the bubbles rising in SpongeBob would be used to transition from above the water to the front of his house. It's simple, but works to change background elements and color schemes.



    Some wipes could include the over-the-top explosion from the book, the "wave", the wall of dashes, cross hatching, and other movements big enough to fill part of the frame.



    The other idea is a bit more simple in that at one point I can add a production position, then have a 2nd position appear next to it, and eventually a third that gets cut off on the right side of the frame. This would motivate the camera to track right following the list of positions, until the very end, it stops for the name of the person who'd do all those positions. Though I am working alone for a majority of the piece, I might end up using music that I'd want to credit or ask someone to man the camera while I'm in front of it, so if I do I'd want to give credit to where it'd due. A benefit of this is that is hits the main points fairly quickly and is a visual gag, but this will only work if it's just me working on the opening. I think I can still use it if there are other people involved in the production, but they'd have to be credited prior to the credit track. And if I wanted I could combine the two ideas, by adding other people in the first few settings, and then end with the credit track.



    With this written up I'm going to return to working on the storyboard and making character designs for the 2nd chunk. Not everything here is really set in stone, but I wanted to jot down the my thought process before I so I can work on the 2nd chunk in peace. And there is the chance that with in working on the character designs and sketches I can also use them for the credit sequence








No comments:

Post a Comment

It's been a while...

Hey yall! so I'm alive still and I'm gonna be blogging again in small doses, so I figured I'd start fresh. Here's the link t...