Tuesday, April 11, 2023

The End Times

 We've reached the final week, not just of this project, but likely of this blog at least for a while. I have two more posts besides this planned for the week, the Portfolio Components and my Critical Reflection, so this is my last usual post. I always knew I had to make a final posting, but what I wasn't expecting was to hear from other people, some of which I don't even know personally, that they loved reading my blog. I'm usually the kind of person who likes to keep my projects on the low, out of fear that if I hype up a project that it won't meet expectations, but this blog has really thrown that out the window for the most part. I'd go to tell friends of mine that I either secured an actor or a location, and then they'd just tell me that they already knew because they read my blog. It was slightly annoying, but also really cool to know that these ramblings of mine were engaging for certain people.

My social media also did a surprisingly good job to inform people and hype up the short film. Every couple days these past couple weeks, I'd usually get someone asking when the movie was coming out or where they could see it. And there were some posts I was really proud of that I'd usually go back to just to rewatch what I did. 

I've also screen tested the film with a few people who've overall had positive things to say, along with some helpful criticisms. If you sent any they were greatly appreciated.

Similar to last year this was definitely a project. As I've mentioned in the past, the concept for the film originated back in June of last year, but once school began progress fell off. It was only in January that I was my spark for the project rekindled after finishing the Development Unit in my AP Psychology class. I was particular interested by Erik Erikson and his stages of development, especially the 5th stage, Identity vs. Confusion. While reading about the subject I realized how the character of the story could be viewed from a psychological perspective. As someone who has no personal identity he's unaware of how the world works or how he fits into it. The idea of including positive reinforcement and positive punishment also stemmed from I had learned in that class.

While I've made several films at this point, I this was going to be my first try at a more "thinky" piece for lack of a better word. Not to say that my other films don't have deeper meaning, but none of them really compared to what I wanted to do with What You Watch. I wanted to make a statement, so I spent a long time thinking about of all the moving parts. And thankfully in the end, aside from a handful of short comings and goofs on my end, I can safely say that a large majority of the film was strategically made. I'm also happy that the film doesn't explicitly tell the viewer what the meaning is. I've always wanted to make stories that engage with viewers, either with an emotional response or by having them think about the decisions made in the film. Like one of the nicest things I've heard someone say about me in the last year was that they were "terrified" to talk with me after they watch Me + Michael because "that idea had to come from someone". As silly as it sounds the idea that I made them feel something is all I can ever ask for.

The now friend who was initially terrified of me

For this project I also tried something I never done before, and that's cast someone that isn't just a friend I knew previously. By this point it's pretty well known that I got the very talented, Connor Lirio to take part in this film. I've always seen him as a showman whether it be as a lead actor in a musical or the lead singer of a rock band, so I was very excited to work with him on the project. Whenever I'd film with Connor we'd always have long conversations about his character and small details we wanted to incorporate, and it was fun to talk with someone about my vision and for them to deliver. I personally LOVE how Trent Marley cam out and I salute Connor on giving his all, I know memorizing those monologues were no easy feat. Connor if you're reading this, this film would not have been possible without you and I appreciate all you've done to help out.

On a similar note I do want to thank all those who helped out in any way they could, either through suggestions, helping on set, providing talent, or just giving feedback. This has been the first project in a while that I've lead solo and I loved both the process and final products. I feel so privileged to be in a class that offers projects that can later find a home in the portfolio of students; it's projects like these that made me want to take the class to begin with. I can say confidently that if it weren't for this class I would never have been able to think up let alone make a film with the depth and scale of this. I'm looking forward to the future, and I hope these next couple posts aren't the last. 

For any future A Level students, go crazy because this is the place you can do it. Just be sure to backup your files and get some sleep. Thank you to all that have read, expect some cool things tomorrow and the day after.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's been a while...

Hey yall! so I'm alive still and I'm gonna be blogging again in small doses, so I figured I'd start fresh. Here's the link t...