Saturday, April 1, 2023

Reshoots and Delays

 Hey so this blog isn't actually as bad as it sounds in my opinion, since by this point most of these situations have been resolved, I just felt I should give an update regarding some of the hurdles during production. 

First off I want to give an update in regards to Getting Kicked Out!. What was initially scheduled as a filming day on Thursday, the 23rd of March, had to get pushed back to Sunday, the 26th, as Angelo was going to be unavailable Friday and Saturday. We also planned to film the scene in a different parking lot that I've used in the past with no issue. We began at 6 and were able to wrap all that we needed by 7:30 which was nice. And one shot in particular was pretty funny because he basically get knocked off my feet.

In general a good filming day.


Secondly, I had planned to film with Conner on Saturday, the 25 of March, but since he was feeling very bad, he asked that we reschedule, so we did for Thursday, the 30th. I had set everything up earlier in the afternoon, so when Connor got to my house at 8, we were able to begin. The backdrop I made with curtains of my house hung on a backdrop holder that I had borrowed from Sam's dad, a.k.a. the freelance photographer I had interviewed for my documentary Instilled. For audio, I mic'ed him up with a lavalier mic that clipped to his tie like most talk show hosts, and had the wire run behind him. The only annoying part of the setup was the male end of the XLR cable that was slightly dented and hard to connect to the audio recorder, but we made it work.

We began with the monologues, I believed they'd be easier to film than the multiple shots and angles from the finale, but I may have underestimated the needs for the opening monologue. The opening is about a minute long uncut take, that switches between different topics that each have different tones and expressions, and much of the dialogue had to be word for word since, Eric's character would be repeating the words of Trent Marley. Long story short it took a while to get the take right, but not gonna lie, when the take was good, it was Good

We then moved on to the ending monologues before Trent would appear in Eric's TV room, but we didn't get too far in before Connor got a not so happy phone call from his parents. It was around 11:30 when they called and I had to drive him home; on the way there, we then discussed what day would work to wrapped his parts. He said Sunday, April 2nd, would probably be best after 6 P.M.

When I got home I looked at the footage and began to make a rough cut of the opening that included the music and announcer's V.O. (voiced by the energetic Tristan Dingcong, who's V.O. opened for the 1st place winner for STN's Convention Promo competition).


I'm going to look again through the different takes, but the video above is just a demo. I still need to clean up some of the audio and add the audience, but you get the idea.

Anyhow those are some of the hurdles I've had to deal with this past week, and I thought I'd just share them. Apologies for yet another post about filming, it's just been something that's been a focus on mine as of recently. I'll talk about something different in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's been a while...

Hey yall! so I'm alive still and I'm gonna be blogging again in small doses, so I figured I'd start fresh. Here's the link t...