Sunday, March 13, 2022

My Interior Design Phase - Pt. 1

    Hello, helllo, hellllo! So I finally did it I filmed my opening. As much as I'd like to write about every little aspect about it right now, I'm going to stop myself and talk about the experience bit by bit. This blog post will focus on what I found to be the most fun part of the experience: production design! 
    In class on Friday, I took the time to sketch out the ideas I had for the set based on the photo references from my pervious blogpost. I've already go over the 3 different desk, but the recap, the right desk is for day to day task and putting animations together, the middle desk is where brainstorming task place, and the left desk is a station for tracing. The 3x4 cube organizer is meant to serve the practice purpose of storing things, but the top row would serve to show little hints of the animator's character. And of course the back wall would have a chalk board, quark board, and calendar. And lastly, but definitely not least the Akira poster that would serve as a visual representation of one of the animator's inspirations. Now all that is only really cool if I ended up following, spoiler alter, I did and more.

Desk workspace prior to production


    Similar to how I would tackle most creative endeavors, I first focused on the big details. The metal rack and the electric drum kit were the first to go. I also move the side desk from the original setup to be up against the left wall. Then brought in a white table to serve as the middle desk and provide a bit of symmetry to the mirrored desks on the side. I had also brought in a table to act as the brainstorming table. I also swap the placements of the red lamp and black lamp. I thought the lower light of the black lamp could help to light the back wall as well as appear in the frame and serve to motivate the light.
    Then it was time to tidy up a few things. I put the books in the 3x4 organizer as well as a camera to show some of the interests of the animator. I I also decided to move the black table top lamp to be more on the right side of the frame, in order to free up more wall space. With the realestate I moved my calendar over and added a clock as well as a chalk board. I would soon also add a quark board to the back wall where the table lamp would to reside.
    After spending sometime on the back wall I considered tidying up the left wall. I  realized it was time for me to take down my Hereditary and Green Room posters so they wouldn't appear in the shots. But like they say "when one door closes, another opens" and that's when the Akira poster comes in. I had also pushed back the metal paper organizer and added an inclined surface for tracing



    By this point, you can begin to see the general structure of the set coming together. That being said, I'm going to stop here, so that in the next post I can ramble on about all the small details that are sprinkled throughout the scene. Around this point of the prcess I began to get excited with how things were looking, so I'll be sure to tell you all about it soon. In the mean time, I'll leave you with a photo I got from outside my house, during the set up process.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's been a while...

Hey yall! so I'm alive still and I'm gonna be blogging again in small doses, so I figured I'd start fresh. Here's the link t...