Sunday, March 5, 2023

Stay Tuned!

 As I continue to work on the script, I've been listening to some music to developed a sense of auditorial tone. Below I've embedded my Spotify playlist of songs I've grown a liking towards or feel as though would be similar to what I would want a score to sound like.


It's not much of a secret that John Carpenter and Disasterpeace are two of the big inspirations I have for this project. Last summer I had a bit of  John Carpenter binge and feel in love with how he used synthesizers; I would've never expected a horror film like Halloween to have a score with such a quick pace speed and and chiming piano. It's only when the bass synthesizer marches in that the idea of it being a score for a horror film makes sense. The idea of having a score that that mixes a high end driving tone with an ominous bass I feel create an interesting dynamic.

While Carpenter is widely known for his work in the horror genre, Disasterpeace began by making music for video games. Classic elements such as chip tunes and synthesizers have carried over to his work as a composer with films like It Follows and Bodies, Bodies, Bodies. Similar to Carpenter, the synthesizer is essential to his style. There's a technological aspect to his music that often is used to create an eerie tune, as those the music is meant to feel unnatural. He's also good at making his music sound large; sounds seem to linger and sometime feel as those the music overstays its welcome.
While my short film doesn't lean too much into horror, eerie instrumentals could fill some silence while Eric watches the show or after his altercation in the parking lot.

One thing I do want to make note of is of the very first track of the playlist, it's the only song so far not from either of the two previous artists and isn't just reference music. I had gone of Epidemic Sounds in search for music for the talk host. Many of these shows use elaborate live bands that perform layered and upbeat music. Now I'm not a huge music person so I had trouble labelling this kind and music which is probably why it may have taken so long to find any decent music. After god knows how long, I stumble across A Warm Welcome by Martin Landstrom, which sounded like a perfect theme tune to the show for when Trent Marley first appears. It was short, yet grandiose. And since its on Epidemic Sounds, I am free to use the song as part of my project. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's been a while...

Hey yall! so I'm alive still and I'm gonna be blogging again in small doses, so I figured I'd start fresh. Here's the link t...